Talking with Young People about Relationships and Sexual Health: Training for Parents and Carers
This introductory course helps parents and carers talk more openly, confidently, and inclusively with young people, about relationships and sexual health.
The course provides a range of practical techniques and strategies to increase awareness and knowledge, and to build confidence.
By the end of the training participants will be able to:
- Reflect on the messages they received growing up and how their own values and attitudes might impact how they talk about relationships and sex;
- Consider why it’s important to talk with young people about relationships, sex and sexual health;
- Use a range of practical techniques and strategies to introduce the subject;
- Explain what consent is and what it looks and feels like in practice;
- Talk more confidently about the basics of contraception, condoms and safe sex; and
- Identify local sexual health services to signpost young people to.